While you’re actively job searching, it’s important to be prepared for a phone interview on a moment’s notice.
In many cases, your interview will be scheduled in advance by email or phone. In others, you may receive a surprise call. You never know when a recruiter or a networking contact might call and ask if you have a few minutes to talk, so always answer the phone professionally, especially if the number is an unfamiliar one.
Here are some do’s and dont’s tips that you can use during your phone interview session:
- Be ready with your CV. It is important to remember the details in your CV. If you are having a scheduled phone interview, you are allowed to have your CV in front of you. Just in case you are missing the details.
- Don’t smoke, chew gum, eat, or drink. Yes your interviewer can easily recognize the different on your voice if you’re talking while having something in your mouth at the same time.
- Do smile. Smiling will project a positive image to the listener and will change the tone of your voice. It gives your voice more energy and enthusiasm,
- Do speak clearly.
- Don’t interrupt the interviewer. Active listening is a must. You need to be able to understand every questions. Thus, you need to have an active focus. Please ensure that you’re ready to take the call if the schedule is being set already. It works best if you’re doing the interview in a quiet place and with a good signal. It helps you to focus to the interviewer and interview questions.
- Do take your time — it’s perfectly acceptable to take a moment or two to collect your thoughts.
- Do take notes when possible on what questions came up.
Hope the practical guide will help you to ace your phone interview.
Good luck !