Video job interviews are an increasingly common part of the hiring process. If you have one coming up, it’s a good idea to make yourself familiar with what are things that you need to prepare for the video call interview.
Herewith are some tips from us:
- Prepare like you would for an in-person interview
- Research the company, job description, make yourself ready with common questions in interview and how to answer those.
- Dress to impress
- Although the would only see your half upper body, it wont hurt to dress yourself appropriately as you would do during an in-person interview. Dressing up can light up your mood. You want to ensure that your outfit looks good in camera. Don’t wear something with too many patterns because it may distract interviewer’s attention.
- Prepare and test your technology
- Check your internet connection, computer’s camera (best is using laptop instead of camera phone. If you have to use your phone, prop it instead of holding it with your hand) and check whether your computer’s audio is working properly.
- Sit up straight
- Maintain good body posture. Don’t sit too far or too close from the computer’s screen. Sit up straight and comfortably. Don’t slouch on your chair because it will project unprofessional attitude. Managing your body posture will project your confidence.
- Maintain good eye contact.
- Make sure you are looking at the computer’s camera during the interview so that the interviewer feel engage with you instead of looking at yourself in the computer screen. The interviewer may think you are not engage/ not being focus if you eyes are not looking at them directly.
- Find a quiet, private, well-lit place, free from possible interruptions.
- Make sure the room has a good light (not too bright, no back light etc).
- Minimum interruption from unnecessary sound (no construction work or music around you).
- Practice yourself before the interview.
- Practice your verbal (how to answers questions) and non verbal (body gestures) communication. Minimize unnecessary movement, hand gestures and maintain good eye contact. Practice in front of mirror so you can see yourself and know how to improve or ask someone else to do interview practice with you and give you feedback.
- Manage how you sound(volume)
- Be sure to speak clearly and at a good pace (not too quick or slow), and keep it natural. The way you speak will help you to send your message across. Speak clearly and make sure your intonation is upbeat / shows enthusiasm.
- Be ready for few minutes earlier.
- Make sure your presentation is ready if you have to present during video call interview.
- Close every tabs and unnecessary windows open on your laptop.
- Make yourself relax first before starting the interview.
- Once you are ready with everything, you can then join the call and interview will start.
- Let the other finish speaking.
- This is good life advice in general. However, in video call, you need to think about possibility of internet lag and it’s not always clear whether someone is done speaking or just pausing. Once you think your interviewer is done, take few seconds before you answer. If you have trouble with this, make yourself on mute mode while the other person is speaking.
- Be genuine.
- Be honest about yourself while still remain professionally during the entire interview.
Managing Partner – APG Consult